Anyway, enough mental talk. Today was absolutely nuts. Austin and I have to get North Dakota state permits to sell and also city permits. We drove to Bismark to get our licenses (which is an hour and a half drive). We left straight from our HQ and drove there, got our stuff taken care of and went back home to start working. Well I went to City Hall only to discover that we had the wrong paperwork and didn't really get our state license. I drove back to Bismark only to discover that I could not get my permit until the Southwestern Company sent in a Surety Bond to back me. So 463 miles later, I started working outside of the city and finished the day with a sale. Even after all that frustration and crazy amount of driving, God still decided to bless me with success. Someone said this last week, "Success is being right in the center of God's will." How true that is. I want that so badly, but in order to get it, I have to give up everything. It's a tough process, but he's slowly churning my soul like butter. That really doesn't make sense, but this is my blog so who cares?
Sunday, July 5, 2009
What do I need to really be motivated?
I asked this question the night after I stopped work on Saturday. It was Saturday, the end of the week, and also Independence Day. As I sat on my bed and looked back at the week, I know I didn't give it my best or that I didn't work my hardest. That feeling is what motivates me the most. My summer is not about the money because I have everything I really need. It isn't about Matt anymore obviously because he's gone. So it's pretty much all on myself now. Sure there are still times when I want to quit, they occur daily. I just have to keep telling myself that I could never face my family or friends if I did. I would not be able to face the fact that I quit simply because it was hard. There would be no other reason.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Since you asked, I'll go ahead and throw in my 2¢! Take it or leave it, as always.
I can empathize somewhat, because I'm always trying to control my own behavior more successfully. Finding the motivation is so hard. I keep settling on this thought: I only do what I want to do. It all comes down to my pleasure.
Sometimes I make the "disciplined choice" because I take pleasure in planning for my future or upholding my good reputation.
Alternately, when the pleasure cost is too high, I don't make the "disciplined choice." For instance: "I know this quiz grade could affect my overall grade in the class, but I can't stand studying for another minute." The pleasure of quitting studying is greater than the pleasure of expecting a good grade.
I say all that to say that I think for Christians doing hard work like you, the source of motivating pleasure is supposed to be the happiness we get from the happiness we bring God from being obedient to Him. I am supposed to be able to say, "I have the motivation to do this hard work right now because I know it brings a smile to God's face, and that brings a smile to my face." It's still the same pleasure factor.
I believe the Bible speaks of Jesus being obedient to God for that reason—just because it brought Him pleasure to please God. More importantly, it never, ever, speaks of Him being obedient because "He knew it was the right thing to do," or "He knew it had to be done." It even says in Hebrews 12:2 that, "for the joy set before him endured the cross." It's the pleasure factor! He did it for THE JOY He knew He would get.
I don't expect to have that kind of spiritual maturity for a long time. But I think the best way to start growing that way is to focus on the sacrifices Jesus made for me in order for me to come to a greater understanding of how much God loves me. When I really gain that awareness, I will be able to desire to please God. Or, phrased differently, the more I see how much God loves me, the more I enjoy pleasing Him.
Hope that makes sense and is helpful.
so good. thanks Jack.
Post a Comment