Friday, September 4, 2009

Mother Epiphany

Ok so I'm at home. Here in Mckenzie freaking Tennessee. It's not bad this time...really I'm having a good time so far. My mom and I went to watch Julie and Julia which was a great movie, if you haven't seen it, you should. It's appropriate, funny, sad, happy, and not sappy. Well not too sappy. Anyway, back to the title. I think I figured out why I dislike talking to my mom sometimes. She compliments too much. Perhaps this is more so my problem than her's, but if you know me, then you know that I hate to be complimented more than anything. While writing this blog I just realized something else. There are times when the compliments I receive are ok, for example at least 6 people said they liked the color of my shirt or it matched my skin well or whatever. I can objectively come to the conclusion that this shirt is good and so I accept it. If there is not enough data, or I do not agree with the compliment, that is when I become uncomfortable and have a hard time accepting the compliment. Dumb huh? haha. It's almost as if I don't have enough self-belief or confidence to take someone's word that I'm "good at a lot of things," or "well mannered" or anything like that. Just thought that I would share this moment of revelation with my internet world friends. Have a great weekend!

No comments: