Friday, December 17, 2010

Navy Update

As I have talked about before, the Navy is in my sights. I am planning on retaking the test on January 17th in Nashville this time. Here's some interesting news that I learned from the recruiter yesterday. My 45 out of 80 was actually a fairly average score. The recruiter said that above average is 50. He told me that very few people are able to score above 55. He also convinced me to retake the aviation portion of the test even though I don't really know if I want to be a pilot. I thought that I didn't really want to at first, but when I realized that I have 20/20 vision, and really no other health problems, I have an advantage in that aspect. At this point, even with a good score, there are so many people rushing to get into the military or deciding to re-sign. Basically, I need all the help I can get.

Thinking about my reconsideration of being a pilot made me wonder what if someone actually possessed the talent to be the best at something but never became the best. I've had these thoughts before. Suppose that if I had gotten the fundamentals down for hockey and living up north where hockey ruled, I could be an awesome hockey player right now. However we will never know if that could have been because my childhood held zero exposure to hockey except for a few video games on the gamecube. The same could be true for someone else, what if talent never gets noticed or even given a chance to? There are so many opportunities for people to become, but what if they never do?

No comments: