Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Peace like a river

This is the title of an awesome song by Andrew Ripp. He's an artist similar to Dave Barnes and Ben Rector. Almost a Kidd Rock sounding voice, but smoother and happier. His songs were not very appealing to me at first, but the more I've heard him, the better I like his music.

Time for another update to my somewhat boring, but happy life. I decided on Monday that I will not be selling books. I am going to stay in Lexington and do...something. Yes you will see me at Asuka most nights, but hopefully I can find something to transition into. Don't get me wrong the money is great and there is no greater feeling than beating someone at golf. However, I cannot do this forever and feel like I'm doing God's will. It's been a while since I've really gone to church. I went and sat a few times, but didn't really pay attention. This last Sunday I couldn't help but pay attention. I went to the Vineyard in the morning and the sermon was all about "Discovering God's Will." If that isn't a billboard from God to me I don't know what is.

Honestly it seems like the past few months I just have continually drifted from God. Why? Because it's way easier to just not be committed and float through life. Have fun, spend money, be careless. In the long run I'm still just as unsatisfied as I was the day before. I do not want this to sound as if I simply had nothing better to do so I decided to give God another shot. Perhaps I'm too open on my blog, but honestly this is the one place where I can really decompress all my thoughts without troubling other people to actually respond. It's like a place to release all of my thoughts and then think more about them once they are down.

Ok I'm losing track of where I wanted to go with this. I need God and I know that, but it just seems so strange sometimes to think that someone loves me so much that they just want to spend time with me. Why can't God be like my physical best friend. Doesn't he know my love language is quality time? haha just kidding. (that was for you J.B.).

1 comment:

Jack said...

Oh man… this has me all excited.

I’m glad you’ll be in Lex this summer because it means I’ll get to see you… but even more than that, imagining you out selling books and reading your psych-up blog posts about sales numbers always stresses me out. Plus maybe having more free time and free energy will let you think about future plans without worrying.

Glad to hear you made it to church. God is the only one who can give the freedom and satisfaction you want. He doesn’t constrain us, he frees us. I feel like I’m learning a lot about this now. He always offers a better version of what I’m seeking elsewhere.

P.S. Still haven’t figured out how God works through love languages. Maybe going alone somewhere, talking to him, reading the Bible will feel like you’re “with” him and be kind of like a quality time? Tell me if you figure anything out.

P.P.S. Also, maybe spending time in Bible study and prayer with other Christians?