Friday, November 9, 2007

Old Friend

First, last night I said I was going to write another blog right after, but I luckily got to talk to a friend that I haven't talked to in a long time. His story is interesting. He started out as a troubled guy, rough home life, and then he was married and had one little girl with his wife. After a while they began to come to our church. Well as it turned out, Brian, my friend decided that he was going to go back to college. He started back at school and also discovered that he was called to the ministry.
After a while, school got tough and a lot of things started sparking up in his home. His wife left him, I'm really not sure what all happened but things got bad. Then later probably a year or two ago, I found out that they had gotten a divorce and she remarried. He ran from God and he tried to commit suicide. The police came and he wound up in an insane asylum. He wasn't truly crazy or anything, but he was definitely unstable.
Anyway, I was talking to him last night, he randomly logged onto msn messenger. We began talking about his life things in my life also. We each talked about our relationships with God and how they were lacking right now for sure. He also expressed a lot of embarrassment from his previous experiences with suicide and being locked up. I tried to help him out and tell him that people still cared about him and that he should just start interacting with people again. Any advice you think I should give him???

1 comment:

Joey said...

This is hard. I would try and tell my friend that even though things seemed to be going downhill and that no one cared, that there were people that did care. The fact that he is talking about God at all is good, and you continuing to be honest about your struggles I think is important for him to hear. I think a big part of helping people is being able to identify with them- it makes what you have to say more credible to the person. At least that is how I feel. There are so many underlying factors to this man's stressors. I would recommend him talking to someone on a regular basis. Clergy, counselor, friend- anyone. He needs to be listened to and prayed for constantly. I'll pray for him with hopes that I'm still getting through.