Monday, April 6, 2009

Assignment Avalanche/Stars

I found out that Microsoft Word now allows you to write something, then publish it on your blog. So I'm trying it out now. I hope that it doesn't seem clichéd or sappy, but more of a reminder. I'll be back soon. Seriously this time.

AHHHH. April is fleeting and now all my huge projects are due. It is a bit stressful to have procrastinated this much, but it's my own fault right? I love waiting until the last minute and then cranking out a sweet project. I complain the whole way through but really, I love the intensity it requires. About a week ago, Prof. Kerr's class taught me so much. He teaches Narratives and Ideologies of Hollywood. We were discussing the movie Meet Joe Black and talking about existentialism and what life is really about.

One of my good friends Tyler came up with a great answer. He said that we need to encounter real love with God. It was what everyone wanted to say, but didn't want to be cheesy or sappy. He said it in such a way that it just made sense and made me want to love. When he first said the word love, I couldn't help but think, "Man that word is awkward and I have trouble saying that." Immediately I wanted to change. I wanted to be able to be comfortable with love. It seems to be a recurring lesson God wants to teach me, but I just don't feel ready for it yet.

Another cool lesson Prof. Kerr talked about was enjoying life. That's a bit more simple than his explanation, but here goes, I'll try to paraphrase. He basically said that when we are in school or grown up and working, we need to take time to enjoy the moments of stillness or relaxation. He said that as he gets older he realizes that many people want to have that serenity and really remember the moments when they did. He encouraged us to do our schoolwork and to work hard at our jobs, while also remembering to soak in those times of simple happiness. One example he used was looking at the stars. He gave the classic scenario of studying for a test or looking at the stars with your friends. Instead of studying, he told us to spend more time with the stars than with our studies. I found that very interesting and have since tried to spend enough time on studies, but more so on the quality time in life. So I guess what I want to do is relay the message that we have permission to work hard and pause life to enjoy those hang out times with your friends. Don't forget that people won't really care about your grades once they really know you. All of these scales and measurements of success don't have to mean anything. Just love, and do that by getting into your relationship with God and then the rest will come from it.

No comments: