Sunday, April 12, 2009

Judgment?

As a disclaimer, this could be a judgment I am passing onto others and if that is the case I apologize. I realize that I am quite faulty myself, but this is something that I do and I noticed others doing a lot recently. Here goes:

The topic of today is criticism for the sake of humor. Have you ever noticed how often we strive to make people laugh. I love it when people find joy from what I say or do. Perhaps that why many see me as spontaneous, simply because I am trying at every moment to please people. Today we were talking about Katy Perry's song, Hot and Cold. (should that be in italics?? who cares, it looks right.) The joke was made that the song mirrored someone else's relationship. That the couple was together then not together, in and out, up and their down, breaking up then getting back together and so on. The statement was meant to be funny in that saracastic sort of tone. You know the conversation that goes, "Oh yeah that song is just like *so and so's* relationship. Haha." Why do we do that? And why is it that humor often stems so much easier from the misfortunes of others. We laugh when someone looks different, falls down, etc. Perhaps I'm reading into this too much and am just in one of those moods where I feel sorry for everyone and want to change the world. Anyway, I hope whoever is reading this, if anyone thinks about the topic.

2 comments:

Jack said...

Sometimes, I think the reason we do this is because we don't know how to handle the nastiness of something. So we just make a critical joke about it to try to cope.

LCJ said...

This is good. One time in high school one of my teachers posed this question to the class: "Does humor ever not make fun of someone else?" I think it's pertinent to what you're saying. Good to think about.